Massingham recorded the Aboriginal name for this hill as “Baandui”. Harvey was developed as a non-public city within the 1890s following the opening of a railway station there in 1893. In 1926 the Harvey Road Board sought the declaration of a townsite, but this did not happen till 1938. Local dissatisfaction with this spelling led to it being altered to Gnowangerup in 1913. By March 1850 Gregory had surveyed forty half acre allotments , and on June the townsite of Geraldton was declared. The name was most likely given by Surveyor-General J.S. Roe, and honours the colony’s Governor at that time, Captain Charles Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald was born in Ireland in 1791, and joined the Royal Navy in 1809.
A position at Coarin Spring on the railway was selected in 1912, and the townsite gazetted in 1913, the year the railway was opened. The station was at first named Koarin, but this was too close to Kauring, and the Minister for Lands accredited it being renamed Kwollyinn. However, when the name was gazetted the Lands Department utilized its spelling rules for Aboriginal names, and changed it to Kwolyin. Kwolyin is the Aboriginal name of a close-by granite hill, first recorded by the explorer C C Hunt in 1864 as Qualyin Hill. The townsite of Kunjin is positioned in the great southern agricultural area, 217 km east south east of Perth, and 17 km west of Corrigin. In 1909 a deputation of settlers from the Kunjin area met with the Minister for Lands in search of the declaration of a brand new townsite at Kunjin. The Lands Department agreed to a townsite, however delayed gazettal because of uncertainty of the situation till the place of the proposed Brookton to Kunjin railway was fixed.
A variety of renaming options had been considered earlier than the Post Office confirmed that there wasn’t a Walpole in Tasmania, and so in 1934 Nornalup was renamed Walpole. The deserted goldfields townsite of Tuckanarra is positioned in the Murchison Goldfield, 692 km north north east of Perth and 41 km north north east of Cue on the Great Northern Highway. Gold was discovered here by Boyle and Moore early in 1897, and for a time the place was often known as Boyle’s Find. In early 1898 the federal government proposed to erect a battery here, and the Tuckanarra Progress Committee requested a townsite be declared. After some debate in regards to the exact location of the townsite, heaps were surveyed in late 1898 and the townsite gazetted in February 1899. Tuckanarra is an Aboriginal name, first recorded for a nearby hill in 1889. One skilled in looking for to derive a meaning for the name has suggested that the that means for the Aboriginal word “dtuka”is the coolaman or picket dish and “gnurra”is camp or mia mia.
The name was approved in 1948, but it was 1950 earlier than the townsite was officially gazetted. In 1951 the name was changed to Wittenoom Gorge at the request of the mining firm, and in 1974 it was changed again to Wittenoom.
The townsite of Westdale is situated in the central agricultural region, 93 km east south east of Perth and 44 km south west of Beverley. The surrounding space was taken up for farming early within the 1900’s, and in 1906 the Dale Progress Association asked the government to put aside an area of land for a future townsite. The railway did not eventuate, and for many years the townsite land was used for grazing stock.
Northampton is situated in the northern agricultural area, 474 km north north west of Perth and 50 km north of Geraldton. The townsite was gazetted in 1864 to service the encompassing mining space, copper and lead having been discovered within the space in 1848. As more ore deposits were found in the district demand for a town increased, ensuing within the 1864 gazettal.
In 1906 the federal government prolonged the railway from Goomalling to the growing Dowerin Agricultural Area and decided to survey a townsite at the terminus. The Aboriginal name of the positioning chosen was “Wuguni”, however “Dowerin”, additionally an Aboriginal name, was already in native use for the place, and was the name gazetted in 1907.
Read more about Paul R Tregurtha here.
The place had beforehand been often known as “Snag Island” after the function of that name located a short distance offshore. When the railway was prolonged from Mukinbudin in 1923, a website for a siding was selected at the 223 mile submit, and the name Kalkalling, the name of a close-by distinguished hill, was chosen. It was gazetted as the townsite of Kalkalling a 12 months later in 1924.
However, when the townsite was gazetted in 1923, the native settlers sought a more appropriate name, and nominated three names, “Warden” being the one selected as best suited. Objections were soon obtained to this name, and later the same year it was changed to Grass Patch. Golden Ridge is an deserted goldfields townsite situated about 20km south east of Kalgoorlie. The townsite of Waterfall was gazetted in December 1910, but the Commonwealth Government soon objected to the name as a result of it was duplicated in New South Wales. The Waterfall Progress Committee instructed the name “Golden Ridge” in its place, this being the name of the native mine on the time, and the town usually being referred to as “The Ridge”. About the Commonwealth Railways established a railway station at Golden Ridge on the Trans Australian Railway. Gascoyne Junction is a townsite within the Gascoyne region, 178 km east of Carnarvon.
Townsite heaps were surveyed at this place by Surveyor W.F. Rudall in 1909 after the Lands Department turned aware that the location was deliberate because the terminus of the “Pinjarra-Marrinup Railway”. Names suggested for the place by Rudall had been “Dwellingerup” or “Marrinup”, after close by brooks, or “McLarty” after a neighborhood MLA who had been very energetic in regards to the railway.
The townsite of South Stirling is positioned within the nice southern agricultural area, 423 km south east of Perth and sixty eight km east of Mount Barker. It is located about 20 km south of the Stirling Range, hence the name. Scaddan is a townsite on the Coolgardie-Esperance Highway between Norseman and Esperance.
Discover more about Paul R Tregurtha here.
The nearby caves have been additionally recorded as Coodardup Caves from around this time. The mill moved to Karridale in 1884, and the name was not often used once more until 1925, when a siding on the railway from Busselton to Flinders Bay was opened right here and named Coodardup. The spelling was changed to Kudardup a 12 months later, this spelling being thought to be a more correct interpretation of this Aboriginal name. The railway line closed in 1960, and soon after the name was applied to the townsite.
Dalyup is a townsite on the South Coast Highway east of Esperance, about 700 kilometres from Perth. It was gazetted in 1962, and derives its name from the Dalyup River on which it is located. Located simply to the north of Moora, the townsite of Dalaroo derives its name from nearby Lake Dalaroo. The name is believed to be Aboriginal, of unknown which means, and was first recorded by a surveyor in 1848. Cranbrook is a city in the Great Southern area, located 39 kilometres NNE of Mount Barker.
This name is derived from Nalyaring Spring, the Aboriginal name of a close-by water source first recorded in 1848. However, when the name was declared in 1915 it was shortened to Nalya as a result of it was felt the name was too much like another siding named Malyalling. The townsite of Muchea is located fifty seven km north of Perth and 13 km from Bullsbrook, the closest town. The name of the townsite is derived from the Aboriginal word “Muchela”, a name first recorded by a surveyor in 1845 when surveying a property for George Fletcher Moore. Moore was a eager pupil of the Aboriginal language, and although he would have obtained this name from native Aborigines, he doesn’t document the word or its that means in his printed vocabulary. The Midland Railway from Walkaway to “Mingenoo Springs” was opened in August 1891, and likewise gold was discovered in the Murchison in 1891. The significance of the position of the Mingenew area was quickly recognised, and Samuel James Phillips, son of the unique leaseholder, decided to hold out a non-public subdivision.
Gold discoveries within the space in the early 1930’s resulted in mining development, and a 1933 request from Cue-Day Dawn Road Board for a townsite to be surveyed and declared. Following survey of tons a name was searched for the townsite, and Mathers and Triton had been instructed, with Reedy being one other selection. The name is derived from “Reedy’s Well”, a nearby water source shown on maps from 1908. It is believed to be named after H Reed who discovered gold within the area round . The Townsite of Ranford is situated one hundred twenty five km south east of Perth and three km north east of Boddington. In 1936 it was proposed to develop a townsite right here to serve the Industrial Extracts Ltd. The name Ranford was adopted, and the townsite was gazetted in May 1936.
Following a request from the native member of Parliament town lots were surveyed, and the townsite of Mount Hardey gazetted in 1905. Moulyining is a townsite within the great southern agricultural area, 291 km south east of Perth between Dumbleyung and Kukerin. In 1912 the federal government constructed an extension to the railway line from Dumbleyung to Kukerin, and established a station at Moulyinning. The Moulyinning Siding Progress Association requested the survey of tons and the declaration of a townsite in 1912, but it was 1915 before the townsite was gazetted.
When a resort was built at Narembeen in 1922, the realm shortly developed as a private townsite, and Emu Hill, simply 5 km away, declined. Although originally spelt Nabawar, the current spelling of Nabawa has been used since 1872.
The townsite derives its name from nearby Quindaning Pool, an Aboriginal name first recorded by a surveyor in 1835. The townsite of Pootenup is located in the great southern agricultural region, 332 km south south east of Perth and 10 km from Cranbrook. Pootenup is one of the authentic stations on the Great Southern Railway, being in use from when the line opened in 1889. In 1907 the government determined there was enough demand for land in the space to warrant declaring a townsite, and following the survey of heaps the townsite of Pootenup was gazetted in 1908.
A scheme of subdivision was proposed and surveys carried out in 1897. The original names advised for the townsite had been “Isleworth” , “The Delta” and “Venice”. The townsite was gazetted as “Yundurup” in 1898, however through the years common utilization converted the pronunciation to “Yunderup”, with the “u’s” pronounced as in “cup”, and this spelling was adopted in 1973. Because of the West Yuna townsite improvement at Yuna was at first opposed by the federal government, and a few of the land was mined for pottery clay. By 1927 a college had been erected at Yuna, and the government decided to develop a townsite there. Following the survey of lots the townsite of Yuna was gazetted in 1929.